Tuesday, May 13, 2014

People, Bikes, and a Bit of Shopping

Now that we're home, and jet lag is behind, I'd love to share some of the photos from our lovely travels to the Netherlands and Belgium.  Something that's VERY impressive about Amsterdam, aside from pot smoking in the cafe's, is the bike riding!  Now I know bike riding is much more prevalent in Europe than here.  And I saw it as a major mode of transportation around Holland and Belgium.  But... in Amsterdam that IS the main mode of transportation.  Everyone, every age, rides their bike everywhere.  No helmets.  Cars are discouraged and parking is 7 euros per hour...  Bikes always have the right of way, and if you step out in front of one and get hit... your fault.  So, this post is simply pictures of people, bikes, and a bit of shopping in Amsterdam!


Okay.... enough for now.  I'll post again in a few days with photos of the positively gorgeous and old architecture of Amsterdam along the winding canals.

xo
dulcy

p.s.  in case you're wondering if I'm ever going to post about rug hooking again.... today I plan on starting a small piece to get me back in the saddle for the Heather Richie rug retreat I'll be attending in June.  Hope to do a piece completely with prodding.  Maybe I'll have some work to show soon!

5 comments:

Amy McPheeters said...

Beautiful!!! Going to Europe is a perfectly good reason to get behind on your rug hooking. Looking forward to more great pics!

Tammy Burks said...

Dulcy,
The great thing, is that you don't even look out of place there, you look very European!
The next thing....I can never remember where I park my car, so I use that button to make it honk..I would never be able to find my bike there!!

summersundays-jw said...

First of all, how do you know which bike is??? Secondly, I want to go here so bad. Love, love, love your pictures. I'm looking forward to more. Jan

Peggy said...

I agree with Amy up there. Really wonderful photos! xx

Charlotte said...

Fabulous trip. Did you discover Amsterdams amazing button shop? It is a lovely city, glad you had a good time.

Simple Pleasures During Confusing Times

Such complicated and confusing times we’re living in these days. Do I go out or stay in? Mask all or some of the time? Travel?! It’s all so...